Quebec redirects Green Fund
The government of Quebec announced June 25 that it was proposing to redirect its Green Fund, to better focus on fighting climate change and fostering Québec's economic growth. Provincial Environment Minister Benoit Charette will be fully responsible for ensuring that the use of the Green Fund is consistent with the objectives and orientations of the government.
• The Green Fund would be renamed "Electrification and Climate Change Fund" to clearly reflect the refocusing of its mission;
• The Green Fund Management Board would be abolished;
• The functions and resources of this body would be transferred to the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change (MELCC), where a new unit called the Office of Electrification of the Economy and Climate Change (BECC) would be created;
• The Minister will be responsible for ensuring government coordination of the design and implementation of the 2020-2030 Electrification and Climate Change Plan.
For his part, the Minister of Energy and Natural Resources, Jonatan Julien, would be fully responsible and accountable for the energy transition. In this context :
• Transition énergétique Québec would be abolished;
• The functions and resources of the company would be transferred to the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources (MERN);
• Subject to its adaptation to the future Electrification and Climate Change Plan 2020-2030, Québec's Master Plan for Transition, Innovation and Energy Efficiency would be maintained;
• Similarly, the system of annual share of energy distributors would be retained.
Interdepartmental coordination would be strengthened by setting up a working group co-chaired by Ministers Charette and Julien. In addition, departments and agencies that will collaborate on the upcoming 2020-2030 Electrification and Climate Change Plan will need results-based management.