Blockchain technology company BitCity Inc. announced June 19 that it has entered into a “transformational” Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with TransAlta Renewables to develop an industrial scale crypto-mining and hosting facility at TransAlta's Bluewater Energy Park (BEP) located on the shore of the St. Clair River in Sarnia.
- In Sarnia, TransAlta Renewables has struck a deal to supply long term power to BitCity, a company specializing in the mining of crypto-currency, a service increasingly in demand in the online economy.
- The newly elected Progressive Conservative government has moved to cancel power contracts and the cap and trade carbon system. Inside are reports on these developments, a profile of the Hon. Greg Rickford, the new Minister of Energy, Northern Development and Mines, and analysis on the implications for future energy policy.
- APPrO as an organization is now inviting all members of the electrical power industry to use a public forum to bring forward ideas on how to find and implement cost savings for consumers.
- Across the energy industry many companies talk about the need to respond to change. However a new and growing category of entrepreneurs known as aggregators is putting the idea into action, turning principles into ground-breaking business ventures.
- The challenge of modernizing workforce training systems could be almost as daunting as the challenge of updating the power system to reflect the realities of constant digital interconnection with customers.
- The Maritime Link is a 500 megawatt high-voltage direct current (HVDC) connection that will enable hydropower generated in Newfoundland and Labrador to be transmitted to the North American grid in Nova Scotia. ABB says its HVDC Light® technology, used in the design of the Maritime Link, is the first bipolar configuration of its kind in the world using “proven and reliable” Voltage Source Converters (VSC).
During the run-up to the recent Ontario election, Doug Ford's Ontario PC Party released its policy platform "For the People: A Plan for Ontario."
As the electric power industry moves forward with new technology, the workforce that is needed to design, build, and manage the next generation of systems will undergo an equal if not greater transformation.
APPrO is inviting industry stakeholders and members of the public to voice their ideas on how energy can be made to cost less.
ABB announced June 12 that it had completed the Maritime Link between Newfoundland and Labrador and the mainland, formally handing over the interconnector to Emera.
A new boundary-crossing industry is emerging in the energy sector, potentially both a harbinger of, and a catalyst for, powerful new dynamics and lasting change.