The election of a majority Progressive Conservative government marks a watershed moment. “Hydro costs” turned out to be a dominant theme in the campaign, with all parties pledging different solutions to lower costs. The PCs did not shy away from talking about energy.
- What does the Doug Ford Conservative government mean for Ontario energy policy?
- Energy funds spark new community businesses: A funding vehicle for solar energy co-ops has launched a new mechanism that could reach well beyond the energy sector.
- Demand isn’t what it used to be: New England recently experienced higher demand at night than at noon. They are not alone. Long term planning scenarios could be impacted.
- Electrification reaches watershed point: The electricity sector now attracts more investment than oil and gas combined, the International Energy Agency says in a report released April 16.
- Small reactors attracting more attention: Bruce Power, Laurentian University and commercial partners are working on Small Modular Reactors (SMRs).
- The windpower industry is learning from whales – their fins have subtle features that have proven particularly effective as part of high tech wind turbine blade design.
- SkyPower lands major project in Uzbekistan: They aren’t starting small. In the country’s first Power Purchase Agreement, Uzbekistan has contracted with SkyPower to build 1,000 MW of solar energy generation capacity throughout the country, valued close to $1.3 billion.
- Different groups of Canadians have been recognized for climate friendly inventions in recent months: Breakthrough technologies that profitably convert CO2 emissions into high-value products.
It began with a single wind turbine, paid for and owned by ordinary citizens, a thousand dollars or so at a time, in partnership with the local power utility. That initiative has evolved into a family of independent organizations, including a nation-wide renewable energy education charity and North America’s largest solar energy co-operative.
Bruce Power and partners announced the signing April 6 of a Memorandum of Understanding that will enhance strategic research opportunities for Small Modular Reactors (SMRs).
In a regional first, the New England Independent System Operator reported May 3 that the region’s customers had used less grid electricity at midday April 21 than while they were sleeping that night.
WhalePower Corporation of Toronto announced that its co-founders have been nominated as finalists for the prestigious European Inventor Award for 2018, based on a design that improves turbine blades by adding a natural feature found on the fins of whales.
The electricity sector now attracts more investment than oil and gas combined, the International Energy Agency says in a report released April 16.
They aren’t starting small. In the country’s first Power Purchase Agreement, Uzbekistan has contracted with SkyPower to build 1,000 MW of solar energy generation capacity throughout the country, valued close to $1.3 billion.